In those rare moments of calm when my two year old nephew is not racing up and down the house on his scooter, he settles down to watch YouTube. He’s a YouTube “early adopter.” He’s been watching YouTube from when he was one. He now has a little inkling of all kinds of things — animals, seaplanes and garbage trucks — mostly from watching Blippi, a channel for kids’ educational videos. Within a year of watching YouTube he’s gotten very good at using it, including the part about skipping ads!
Taking a leaf out of my nephew’s coloring book, I’ve started to seek out good educational content on YouTube. It’s my attempt to add a side of veggies along with the usual snack routine on YouTube. This is a list of YouTube channels I find amazing.
- Physics videos by Eugene Khutoryansky – animation videos to get the intuition for concepts in physics and electrical engineering : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVpXrbZ4bnU
- MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology: Located in the UK, this is the world leading institute for molecular biology research and has produced the most Nobel Prize winners. They have an awesome YouTube channel to explain their research, like this one on how eating feeds into the body clock: https://www.youtube.com/user/LMBCambridge/videos
- Leiden University – Faculty of the Humanities: Thought provoking video lectures on the philosophy of science. Warning: watching this will make you question everything: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPeStI124dee1ByfcDzRvPxKDNb0GQjmo
- Computer Chronicles: A TV show on computer technology from the 80s and 90s. Why don’t they make ‘technology of the future’ shows like this any more? https://www.youtube.com/user/ComputerChroniclesYT/videos
- Peter Thiel’s talks and interviews: Thiel’s talks offer a contrarian and fresh take on innovation, politics and culture. An astute businessman intellectual like none other: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3ObfUE2qbhzkC11v0WQtQg/videos
- Best of Startup Secrets featuring Michael Skok: my favorite startup lecture series because it covers every step of the startup process in detail and has guest talks by entrepreneurs, including some who failed and are willing to talk openly about mistakes they made: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxpB5Hi17Tp2cAs_OoRZSHqohHJhy9AWo
- (more to come)